Wednesday, January 28, 2015

First project for the year

I started on my first original paper cut art for the New Year and it is all about symbols- Adinkra Symbols and fabrics. I love symbols! They are secretive, original, and complex.

A symbol ... is a visual image or sign representing an idea -- a deeper indicator of a universal truth, according to the book of Sign and Symbols. To give you some background on Adinkra symbols we have to go back to Africa. Ghana to be more specific, to a group of people called the Akan’s. They used Adinkra symbols to represent concepts and aphorism. The symbols can be found on fabric, pottery, walls of homes, furniture and even gold weights. They are used to convey traditional wisdom and are linked with African proverbs. (Which I like to use in my art also.)

I started off with doing research on printed fabrics with Adinkra symbols for reference and picked the symbols that I like for meaning and the shape. I want my art to covey positive traits that a women can have or aspire to have and display. I also, want this art to be fun and bright. So after I cut the art out I will start on working on color ways that are on trend for the 2015 season.





Paper Cut Art Adinkra symbols

No comments:

Post a Comment