Tuesday, March 10, 2015

American Craft Council Overview

As I stated in my earlier post I participated in the American Craft Council’s “Let’s Make” Station in Baltimore. It was so much fun! Even though I was sick and it snowed heavily Saturday, I had a blast!


I got into Baltimore on Friday night to put up my paper cut art along with Annie from B’morecuts and to see the layout. Our station had a table with three stools and three dividers. Annie had beautifully created a banner and put up examples of our templates on the dividers.


Paper cut Artist





Saturday, I was scheduled to be there at 10:00am and to man the station till 3pm. I had many inquisitive visitors stop by the station and lots of people actually sat down to try their hand at paper cutting. I talked to the visitors and showed them techniques to make the paper cutting process easier. Paper cutting art can be a long and boring process so most people started but didn’t finish their template. I ended up encouraged them to take it home and finish it later which most people were happy to hear. The Baltimore Convention Center is a huge place and there were many displays of quality artwork, so I understood when people stopped cutting their paper cut art templates. I was just glad they tried.





Paper cut Artist


My family came out Saturday to support me and I made a couple of connections with people for interesting business collaborations.  


My Brother in law - Matthew Washington

Sunday was the last day and I got in that morning around 11am. This time Annie’s assistant was able to come and help since the snow in the area melted. I started to feel worse so I didn’t stay as long as I wanted. The crowd was a bit thinner than Saturday, understandably. There were more kids this time and they wanted to participate, which made me uneasy. I had two accidents, one from an adult and one from a teenager. They both cut their finger but they were good sports about it. So glad we had a emergency kit...




Overall the “Let’s Make” stations were a success. Many people told me that they enjoyed all the stations and would like to see this format again next year. Hopefully, I will be asked to come again!


Paper Cut Artist
Janelle Washington of WashingtonCuts



Paper Cut Artist
WashingtonCuts and B'More Paper Cuts Art Display

No comments:

Post a Comment