Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Opening Dedication for the National Museum of African American History and Culture - my thoughts

Saturday I attended the opening dedication for the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington DC. I was able to snag tickets to the museum for October 30 2016. I was told that as a contractor I am able to see the museum during the workday but by myself. Since I can't attend during the day and I want to experience the museum with my family I am going to wait.

For the opening, security was tight. There were many road blocks so the best route was by metro and by foot, which I took.

Advertisement from DC Metro Train

During the morning program there were several important people that spoke, which I missed, but heard their speeches were very inspiring and filled with a sense of pride. 

Here is a link to John Lewis's powerful speech http://on-ajc.com/2dpKSrG
Here you can hear President Obama's  inspiring speech: http://slate.me/2czDZlT

 I did have a misty eyed moment because my brother and Aunt died earlier this year and they would have loved to have seen all of the people, to know that I designed art for the museum, to be apart of something bigger than they and to experience history- again (our first black president) in DC!

 In different locations near the Washington Monument grounds there were stages set up for performers, singers, drummers and for storytellers. My husband and I stayed at the Freedom Sounds stage to see the musical performers. 




We heard the Liberty Brass Bands, who I filmed using Facebook live: you can see here: http://bit.ly/2dpLrl6  and Sweet Honey Rock, see here: http://bit.ly/2cAV9Va
-who I have never heard of but absolutely love now!




Target had a social media stage where you could take a photo and add a story of what the museum means to you, a 360 video that could be uploaded to any social media site and a place to write and send postcards about your experience. There were also vendors selling delicious soul food, barbecue and Caribbean food. I got the fried catfish and hushpuppies and let me tell you it was sooo good!

I am very excited about the museum.  I am excited to see the artifacts and to learn about people and events that I might not know of. I love that the museum will expose us to the truths that weren't taught in school, to allow us to cry because of the pain that comes with the history and will allow us to learn and to move forward. I am exciting that I am apart of it not only because I am African American or black American but because I helped create art that will forever have a place in the museum.

This history is my history, your history and America's history.  It needs to be told, understood and felt.

If you went, what where your favorite parts of the museum?


Peace,
Janelle











No comments:

Post a Comment